Table of Contents
Comparing Chicken and Duck Eggs
Pre-School - Grade 4
- Discover differences and similarities
- Hypothesize about what might be common to all birds' eggs and what might be unique
- Appreciation for the diversity of life and the wonder of eggs
- fresh chicken egg
- fresh duck egg
- saucers magnifying glass
- Without breaking the eggs, compare them; what is the same/different (colour, shape, size, shell texture) ? Duck eggs may be naturally tinted and the shells tend to be smoother and less porous as well as harder.
- Crack open one egg into each dish (place on the floor in the middle of the children)
- What is the same? Both have the same parts.
- What is different? yolk colour and size (colour depends on diet) - the duck egg will probably have a larger, darker yolk; thick & thin white size (partly depends on how fresh the egg is) - duck eggs contain less water so will have thicker whites, and very fresh eggs of both types will have very distinct thick & thin whites
farm/activities/comparison.txt · Last modified: 2020-05-09 15:02 by 127.0.0.1