A guide designed to assist the user in researching a particular discipline or topic. A pathfinder identifies key subject headings related to the topic, important reference books, periodical indexes, journals and other resources available at the local library. Sources on the World Wide Web are usually also included. Pathfinders can be printed or available online. Pathfinder_(library_science)
This is a pathfinder about Gamification in the Classroom. It is primarily focused on the application of gamification in formal teaching & training contexts. (i.e. it is NOT about gamification as a marketing tool).
Note that this is a work in progress - a lack of entries does not imply that there is nothing to include - it simply means I haven't had time to fill it in yet.
Places Doing Practical Gamification
Researchers & Practitioners
- Katrin Becker
- Sebastian Deterding
- Karl Kapp
- Lee Sheldon
- Scott Nicholson
- Barry Fishman
- Clayton Ewing
- The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing Coursework As A Game
- Lee Sheldon, Emi Smith, Mark Hughes, 1435458443, Delmar Learning
- 2011, $37.99, 256p.
- Lee's book provides numerous case-studies, but without a lot of details.
- The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education
- Karl M. Kapp, 1118096347, Pfeiffer
- 2012, $66.00, 336 p
- Largely focused on corporate training and top-down design.
- The Gamification of Learning and Instruction Fieldbook: Ideas into Practice
- Karl M. Kapp, 111867443X, Pfeiffer
- 2013, $66.00, 480p
- Does have some useful strategies.
Journals & Other Periodicals
Websites, Blogs & Reports
K.Becker has a number of blog posts about gamification:
- Ely, M. (2011). 3 Reasons NOT to Gamify Education (LearnBoost)[Blog]. Retrieved from https://www.learnboost.com/blog/blog/3-reasons-not-to-gamify-education/. on Oct. 4 2012.
- Heick, T. (2011). The Gamification of Education: What School Can Learn from Video Games (Edutopia.org)[Blog] Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/gamification-education-terrell-heick. on Dec. 11 2012.
- Juul, J. (2011). Gamification Backlash Roundup (The Ludologist). Blog Retrieved from http://www.jesperjuul.net/ludologist/gamification-backlash-roundup. on April 2, 2011.
- Valdes, G. (2012). Three things you need to know about gamification. VentureBeat. Retrieved from http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/03/three-things-about-gamification/. on July 3, 2012
- Ventrice, T. (2011). Gamification: Framing The Discussion. Gamasutra. Retrieved from http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6530/gamification_framing_the_.php. on November 2, 2011
- Andersen, P. (2012, Apr 24, 2012). Classroom Game Design TEDxBozeman. [YouTube Video] Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlYGX0H6Ec. on Apr 24, 2012.
- Deterding, S. (2012, 12 October 2012). 9.5 Theses on the Power and Efficacy of Gamification. Microsoft Research. [Microsoft Research Video] http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/dl.aspx?id=174677&l=i (note: this talk is 1h23m long but it covers a LOT of ground and is well worth the time)
- Deterding, S. (Producer). (2010, Jan. 2012). Pawned. Gamification and Its Discontents. [SlideShare Presentaion] Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/dings/pawned-gamification-and-its-discontents. on Jan. 2012.
- McGonigal, J. (2010, Mar 17, 2010). Gaming can make a better world TEDTalks. [YouTube Video] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1DuBesGYM
- Nicholson, S. (2012, Dec. 25, 2012). A RECIPE for Meaningful Gamification. [YouTube Video] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4qikCx_SSc
- Patel, S. (2011, Dec 5, 2011). How Game Mechanics can Change Education TEDxChandler. [YouTube Video] http://youtu.be/E97HHr6M6RU
Gamification 2013 - University of Waterloo The conference showcased ongoing research in gamification and provided a venue for international and interdisciplinary attendees to discuss the research and …
GSummt - non-academic; focused primarily on corporate gamification, mounted and run by a gamification company